Monday 16 March 2015

Shibori folds and dyes

Iv been experimenting with a Japanese technique called Shibori (resulting in a tie-dye effect) with fabric and with paper. The paper experiments have been successful. I have enjoyed folding the paper into different origami shapes, clamping it with clips, and then dipping the edges into dyes so that the colours naturally disperse into the creased paper becoming more saturated at the folds. I leave the clamped and dyed paper to dry by its self and then unravel it to reveal what it has created.
I like the uncontrollable element of this technique: the dyes choose to disperse along the paper in directions that I cannot really control.

I then experimented further by laser cutting the Shibori paper. This worked well. I like the contrast of the sharp laser cut lines combined with the softer fluid lines of the dyed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment