Tuesday 10 March 2015

Stencil prints continued

I hate waste...I hate to waste.
Why through artwork/ prints away when you can use them to create another piece of work?
Using the off-cuts from my stencil prints I was able to make a woven design. I'm glad I did this instead of throwing the scraps away as I believe it has become a successful piece.
Using the off-cuts produced from the laser cutter I tried to print a negative version of the design. This was difficult because I had to place each shape on the paper, place a silkscreen on top then pull pigment through the open screen. However, when I lifted the screen off again the paper shapes would stick to the screen and come of the page. This was inconvenient as in order to create a successful negative print I needed the paper shapes to stay where they were on the paper for the next layer of print to go on. Even when I masking taped bits down the paper shapes still failed to stay on the paper. If I used glue perhaps it would be equally hard to remove the paper shapes after completing the print. 
I ended up trying to place the paper shapes to its original position or cover that section with a larger shape so that the colour would not change in the next pull through. It is difficult to get the colours you want when using this technique because all the uncovered areas result in a mix of the combined different layers of colour. Nevertheless, I quite like the effect of the bright green highlighting the scarlet flower, it has a unexpected glowing effect.

Woven stencil print

Negative stencil print

No comments:

Post a Comment